Alabama Cares is a caregiver support program providing supportive services for unpaid caregivers providing at least 20 hours of service per week. Eligibility criteria for the Alabama Cares program includes:
- Caregivers providing care to individuals aged 60 and older;
- Caregivers providing care to individuals of any age with a dementia-related diagnosis and related disorders;
- Older relatives (including parents) aged 55 and older providing care to individuals aged 19-59 with severe disabilities;
- Older relatives (not parents) aged 55 and older who are informally raising children under the age of 18.
Caregivers can get support with:
- Information on resources and services available through public education, health fairs, brochures, and newsletters.
- Caregiver Access Assistance to obtain access to the services and resources that are available through outreach and case management.
- Caregiver Education to assist in making decisions and solving problems relating to areas such as health, nutrition, and finances.
- Caregiver Respite or temporary relief from caregiving by providing personal care, homemaker services, adult day care, and other services requiring a skilled helper in the home.
- Supplemental Services such as incontinent supplies and nutritional supplements, are available on a limited basis.
Our Alabama Cares team, in partnership with M4A’s PANDA Project, hosts a bi-weekly event we call “Coffee Break” that provides Caregivers with a brief moment of respite through a variety of topics. Sessions are hosted LIVE on ZOOM and Facebook, and they are posted on our YouTube channel afterwards.
The most recent session of “Coffee Break” can be viewed below:
For previous episodes of “Coffee Break”, you can view those on our YouTube channel located at: M4A YouTube Channel
Our Alabama Cares Staff hosts a monthly Virtual Support Group on the second Thursday of every month at 10:00AM. For more information, contact us today at (205) 670-5770, or email Jeremy Raines at firstname.lastname@example.org or Crystal Whitehead at email@example.com.
Direct Service Provider Information: