Medicare fraud is big business for criminals. Medicare loses billions of dollars each year due to fraud, errors, and abuse. Estimates place these losses at approximately $60 billion annually, though the exact figure is impossible to measure.
The Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) empower beneficiaries to prevent, detect, and report health care fraud, errors, and abuse.
Volunteers are always needed with this program; if you are interested in being trained to help your peers protect their Medicare.
Tips on ways to protect yourself:
- Treat your Medicare card and number like your credit card.
- Be aware that Medicare doesn’t call or visit to sell you anything.
- Be cautious of offers for “free” medical services.
- Review your Medicare Summary Notices (MSNs) and/or Explanations of Benefits (EOBs).
- call your provider or your plan and ask for an explanation.
Get help from your SMP: If you are not comfortable calling the provider or plan or if you are not satisfied with their response, your local SMP can help you. This is a free and confidential service!
Call 1-800-243-5463 or 205-670-5770 to learn more about Senior Medicare Patrol, as well as SMP volunteer opportunities.